Sermon on the Mount Resources
The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5-7) is the most important sermon of all time. This is not true just because Jesus was the one who gave it, but this sermon was the foundation that Jesus set for what a life fully submitted to him looks like.
For those of you who join us at Clarity for this 10 week study, you may want to "geek out" on this passage in more ways than we are able to do so in a 30 minute period one a week. So here are some resources by theologians and scholars what have submitted their thoughts.
As with any man-made attempts to make commentary of scripture, always be a student and don't automatically take what all these people have to say for truth just because they wrote a book. Do your homework. Study tour bible. Pray. Get in community with other people who follow Christ and love the scriptures and are committed to understanding if for all it's worth.
Here is a list of some resources that you can use to gain more perspective on "What He Said!"
- J.P. Greenman, The Sermon on the Mount through the Centuries: From the Early Church to John Paul II
- Bonhoeffer, D., The Cost of Discipleship
- Allison, D.C., The Sermon on the Mount: Inspiring the Moral Imagination
- Guelich, R.A., The Sermon on the Mount: A Foundation for Understanding
- Carson D.A. Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and His Confrontation with the World: An Exposition of Matthew 5-10