We were all geared to live life in community. Many of us have never really found what we were meant for simply because we have tried to "find ourselves" in isolation.
In relationship to following Christ, when you divorce community from a faith in Christ you set yourself up for a 100% chance of not succeeding in having a fully engaged and growing faith in Jesus. Let's be clear, when we say community we mean a smaller group of people to whom you are accountable to and you receive support from and they look to you for the same. This one act of allowing your life to be shared with others is the most important thing you can do in successfully growing in your faith. Reading the bible, going to church, prayer - these are all great things, but being in community is the foundational environment for receiving the life change God wants - that you want in your life.
Notes from the message:
WHAT ARE WE "GEARED" FOR?
- We are all geared to grow in faith through COMMUNITY.
- In order to grow in faith we all need SUPPORT and ACCOUNTABILITY
WHY DO WE IGNORE THE NEED FOR COMMUNITY AS ESSENTIAL TO FOLLOWING CHRIST?
1. We've mistakenly assumed that being a Christians is mostly about ME and GOD.
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. - John 13:35
2. We've confused GOING TO church with BEING
...always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else - 1 Thessalonians 5:15
IS UNDERSTANDING WE ARE "GEARED FOR COMMUNITY" SO IMPORTANT?
1. We all live better when someone is WATCHING.
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light - Ephesians 5:8
2. Scripture is clear that our lives were meant to be live with OTHERS in mind.
Ephesians 4:2 • 1 Peter 4:9 • Galatians 6:2 • James 5:16
3. If no one KNOWS me - no one will HELP me.
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid - Proverbs 12:1
And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another...
If you missed the Geared Sermon you can watch it below: